There are several natural essential oils that can be effective in killing dust mites , as can the chemical compound benzyl benzoate. Here are some examples :
- Tea tree essential oil has been evaluated against mites responsible for scabies and demodicosis, with interesting results 1 .
- Citronella and tea tree essential oil are as effective as 0.5% benzyl benzoate.
- The essential oil of clove, cinnamon leaf, bay leaf, and palo santo have shown some effectiveness against various livestock mites 1 .
- True lavender essential oil, in addition to being soothing, has antiseptic and antiparasitic properties that can help fight mites 2 .
- The essential oil of Siebold's asaret, cade, horseradish and basil have been tested in fumigation against mites on bedding and carpets, with effectiveness linked to their concentration of methyl eugenol 3 4 .
To use these essential oils against dust mites , you can dilute them in water or modified alcohol and spray them on surfaces where dust mites are present, such as mattresses, pillows, cushions, or carpets . Be sure to shake well before use and leave to rest for an hour before returning. You can then vacuum to remove dead mites which are always a source of allergies.
I hope this information helps. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions.😊
The Protech Allergies team